October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and two local events are being held in recognition of survivors, fighters, and victims of this deadly disease. The 2017 Pink Up the Race will be held Saturday starting at 8 a.m. in front of the Visitors Information Center. Contact Shelly Trela at 904-669-8107 or email@example.com for more information.
One of the highlights will be the availability of onsite mammograms provided by Precision Imaging. This service can be performed for cash at a cost of $140 for uninsured or by using any major health insurance provider. Register through Precision Imaging now at 904-996-8100. (When registering, please refer to the event.)
There will a ceremony honoring cancer survivors and their families. There will be refreshments, music, vendors, gospel music and dancers.
• St. Luke AME Church, 694 Pearl St., will observe its annual Women’s Day Celebration on Sunday. The morning worship service will begin at 11 a.m. and will feature guest messenger Sister Ramona Fisher. The evening worship service will begin at 5 p.m. and will feature guest messenger Apostle Cora B. Fells of Palatka. The public is invited to come and celebrate.
• The West Augustine CRA Citizens Steering Committee meeting will be held Monday beginning at 7 p.m. The public is invited to attend this community meeting at Collier Blocker Puryear Park, 10 North Holmes Blvd.
• The St. Johns County Branch of the NAACP meets Oct. 11 (and monthly on the second Thursday) at 7 p.m. at Solomon Calhoun Center, 1300 Duval St. To learn more, visit stjohnscounty.naacp-fl.org.
• The West Augustine Improvement Association will meet Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. at Collier Blocker Puryear Park, 10 North Holmes Blvd. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
• West Augustine Wednesday Dialogue group meets every Wednesday at noon at Collier Blocker Puryear Park, 10 North Holmes Boulevard.
• Serenity South @ St. Augustine, 271 West King St., hosts Support Group Community Outreach on Fridays from 11 a.m. until noon. Sunday services are also held on the first and third Sundays beginning at 7:30 a.m. Elder A. Dewey Britton and First Lady Carol Britton are the spiritual leaders.
Events listed in the West Augustine community column are open to all residents of St. Johns County. The deadline to submit information is 7 p.m. on Fridays. To contact Linda Y. Murray, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contributed to the St. Augustine Record, October 2, 2017